View Single Post

Old 06-23-2018, 11:44 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,202 Times in 438 Posts
Default Not going to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry Callahan View Post
I could do the trendy thing and tell you that you absolutely must carry a double stack 9mm pistol or else the legions of 6ft/700lbs+ meth heads wearing 5 layers of heavy denim wielding car doors as shields who patrol every street corner will get you.

I could take the road less traveled and say that a 5-shot .357 Magnum is all anybody needs and go on forever about their superiority to semiautomatic pistols in terms of reliability.

I could be an Armchair Commando/Mall Ninja who insists that you carry whatever the Military/Law Enforcement at large is currently using and that anything else is completely inadequate.

I could insist that my own personal choices for self-defense are the end all, be all and bombard you with anecdotes/opinions to support those choices.

Instead, I'm going to do something most uncommon by telling you to carry the firearm that you are most proficient with and feel the most confident carrying, regardless of what that may be or what I may personally think/feel in regards to your choice.
I'm not going to disagree with Dirty Harry. Carry the firearm that you are the most proficient and confident with. For me it could be a 1911 or a revolver if it was only proficiency I probably would go with the 1911. After having major shoulder surgery on both shoulders I'm most confident with a model 21 or even a j frame. Some days my shoulders ache so bad that I'm just not confident I could quickly clear a malfunction. I've never had one on any of my Ed Brown's malfunction but....... I also find with age I'm really comfortable with a fixed sight revolver with a 10 pound trigger pull. The simplicity of the revolver. For the most part I think autos are a fad and IMO the majority of the CCW people would be better served with a revolver, of course there are exceptions and your choice. Doc I think that 686 would make an excellent choice. After that trigger job I would put 200 rounds through it just to be sure.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: