View Single Post

Old 06-25-2018, 10:16 AM

Liked 640 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
I also have something now that most don’t, and that an intruder would not like. I have a 5 year old Doberman. His name is Boss. He doesn’t like intruders. He says hi.
I have a watch dog also. He is something else. He barks wildly when anyone approaches until he figures out if he knows them. He doesn't bite because that will get you a lawsuit too quick. But he sure makes you think he will bite. He's also extremely fast so forget giving him a kick. If he doesn't want to be touched no one is going to touch him. For a long time he wouldn't take food from strangers until the UPS man started giving him treats. I think he probably found them after the guy had left and associated him with the treats. I wish he had not done that.

The dog sleeps inside with us. If someone is around he's going to hear them and bark a lot. He goes with my wife every time she goes outside. We live in the woods with bears and wild hogs and he keeps a watchful eye out for her. I saw him chase two bears up the hill once after they had already killed one of my cats.

A good watch dog is worth it's weight in gold IMO. Best alarm system going. He isn't an attack dog but he is relentless when it comes to intruders. He's a feist BTW. It's a very old breed that has been kept for watch dog purposes for centuries. One saved my great, great, great grandfather's life once. Grandpa shot at a black bear and didn't kill it. Then he got his feet tangled up in some brush. The dog kept the bear busy while grandpa reloaded and killed the bear. That was in about 1840.

The photo shows what it looks like trying to catch my dog. It just isn't possible if he doesn't want to be caught.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z.jpg (114.6 KB, 24 views)