View Single Post

Old 06-26-2018, 09:25 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,264 Times in 385 Posts

Sorry JSRIII, no other pics. I'll try to stop by the shop that has it later this week and get a better look.

I've tried researching Lyman, Marble, and King front bead sights and they all seem to be one piece instead of the two piece insert style in the photos.

I was hoping that one of the resident experts would wander by and say something like "According to my database, that sight was made by a guy named Frank on Thursday, March 8th, 1951 at 1:15 PM. The sight was inspired by the shape of the pickle that was served with Frank's lunch that day and turned out to be the greatest bullseye sight ever made by man. Unfortunately it was discontinued after Frank was killed in a freak gardening accident."

In all seriousness, I've been really impressed with the identification abilities of folks on this site. It's really just a curiosity question.

Someone went to a lot of work to put that insert into the front sight and they had to know it would make the gun shoot low. As I was falling asleep last night I was wondering if the site was intended to work somewhat like a lower case letter i, with the top of the base being lined up with the top of the rear sight and the bead "floating" above the normal sight picture. If it was tall enough it would allow for a 6 o'clock hold with a "pointer" inside the bullseye. It doesn't look quite tall enough for that in the pictures though.