View Single Post

Old 06-26-2018, 02:16 PM
US Veteran

Liked 503 Times in 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR Moore View Post
The light varmint bullets in .223/5.56 mm (40-50 gr) that do so well in limiting penetration also present problems when dealing with attackers who are on the large side. Also if you have to shoot through chance obstacles like an arm. Most of those who use the cartridge seriously have gone up in bullet weight and work hard on not missing. We're talking a range of feet generally.
I just don't agree. Tests show more than enough tissue damage and penetration.

See what a varmint round does through denim, ribs and to a pork shoulder behind both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR Moore View Post
While I agree that the handgun is the most versatile choice, I've done some handgun drills with a carbine. Most folks will do those drills faster and with better shot placement with the carbine. HOWEVER, at really close range the handgun is a better choice.
This, is really what it comes down to. Misses will penetrate walls. Though I will say, typical handgun rounds, even HP rounds are going to do a lot more of that then a 40gr Varmint round in a 223/5/56 carbine. What can yu make those hits with. Versatility of the handgun, only comes into play for most, imho, us when clearing a home. But, if you're holing up in a back room, as OP's plan, it comes down to more, what can you guarantee you can make more than one hit on the bad guy(s).
The Following User Likes This Post: