View Single Post

Old 06-27-2018, 12:57 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoboy View Post
Thanks cyphertext for response and video.

The only question is , how many walls will the ammo penetrate in a home? As a home owner I need to know when I fire my weapon where will the bullet go and have idea how many walls the bullet will pass through.

Do you have a video or documentation that shows which 12 gauge shotgun ammo is recommended to hit vital organs or gel testing, then count the number of dry wall the ammo pass through before tumbling or degrading?

Do you have a video or documentation that shows which 12 gauge shotgun ammo pass through multiple walls when the shooter MISSED the target and then stop penetrating?
You are looking for guarantees that do not exist. Since you have stated that you are not going room to room, but will be stationary, you should be able to judge your firing line and backstop. You can also alter trajectory by kneeling or lying prone, so that you are shooting upwards vs. level... this also makes you a smaller target.

If you are going to use a shotgun, then use buckshot. Many folks recommend the Federal Flight Control loads, as these limit the spread of the pellets. If you miss, these will go through sheet rock... but the chance of them exiting the exterior wall of your home and entering a neighbors home is low.

Same with the AR... use an appropriate round designed for defense. It will go through sheet rock, but chances of exiting your house and into a neighbors is low.

And same with the 9mm. Just make sure you shooting lines do not go through windows.

My son and I were looking at this in our house today. There is a line from a bedroom towards the kitchen where we can't take a shot... from the angle of the shot, the backstop is a window, with the neighbors window beyond that... Just be aware of these type of arrangements.