View Single Post

Old 07-01-2018, 05:20 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,662 Times in 604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnB View Post
The Washington State Patrol carried 6” Smith and Wessons in crossdraw holsters right up until they transitioned to autos. I think they were Model 28s, but can’t recall for certain. Back then, Trooper applicants were required to be over 6 feet tall...
I carried one of those 28-2 (6” bbl) until we transitioned to the Beretta 92F. Left side crossdraw was mandatory (even for the southpaws) until we got an outsider for a Chief in the early ‘80’s. At least one class was issued 28-2’s (4” bbl) with straight draw holsters.

We were allowed to carry personally owned S&W .357 revolvers for awhile until the Beretta’s were issued (about 1989-90). I carried my own Model 19-4 (4” bbl) for a few weeks but never could warm up to it so I returned to my issued 28-2 (this time in an A.E. Nelson strong side breakfront holster w/ the muzzle canted towards the front; not comfortable in the car but very fast to draw outside the car).

I bought that old 28-2 (that was used when it was issued to me) when we went to the Beretta’s (along with the 60th Anniversary Commemorative) and still have them. (FWIW, I never could shoot an auto as well as my S&W N Frames.)