View Single Post

Old 07-06-2018, 12:15 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,467 Times in 2,831 Posts
Default First Registered Magnum - S&W Letter Received

The S&W letter arrived yesterday. As my original post had gotten a bit long I’ll start a new one to share the letter and additional information. Not a lot of new information about the gun but it does confirm the rear sight as a “King white outline square notch.” Some of you may have recognized it as a King rear sight but I had not. Had hoped the letter would show the gun shipping to an individual member of C Battery 144th FA but it actually went to McDonald & Linforth Co., San Francisco, CA. As C Battery was in Santa Barbara in 1937 it is reasonable that the men who were buying a gun for their commander would shop in San Francisco.

Google didn’t reveal much about McDonald & Linforth but I did find one other Registered Magnum (#2420) that had shipped to them in addition to #3072 and the second one in the shipment referred to in the S&W letter.

I’ll request information from the S&W Historical Foundation but don’t expect to find anything other than possibly the invoice and original order. Probably won’t uncover anything too exciting as we know it went first to McDonald & Linforth and likely from there to a member of C Battery and then to CAPT Harold O (Oscar) Welch upon his departure from C Battery in December 1937.

Our focus here on the forum is pretty much about the gun; and we may now know about all we’re going to know about the gun itself, but there is a bit more to the story about the recipient of #3072 and the men who gave it to him. I’ll make a couple more posts here and I hope you enjoy this part of the story as much as the gun itself.

Jeff
SWCA #1457
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reg Mag #3072.jpg (103.6 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg CAPT H O Welch - C Battery 144th FA.jpg (58.2 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg Reg Mag 3072 King Rear Sight.jpg (80.0 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg #3072 .jpg (54.3 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg S&W Letter Reg Mag #3072.jpg (125.4 KB, 298 views)
The Following 32 Users Like Post: