Thread: My New Spyderco
View Single Post

Old 07-13-2018, 01:42 PM

Liked 16,951 Times in 3,692 Posts

In no way did I mean to downplay the Delica. I bought my first in 2009, it is the knife I carry most of the time. I use it as a comparison because people are familiar with them. I own eight of them.
Spyderco knife question-spderco-delicas-rs-jpg

I am quite practiced handling them and have on two occasions reached for them in preparation of impending dog attacks while walking. On both occasions I was able to control the dog verbally before blood was drawn on either side. After the second incident with an overly aggressive dog I switched to carrying an Endura while exercising. With a 3 3/4" blade it is far more capable in a dog fight.

The Chaparral is very competitive price wise to the Delica. Amazon still has my original Delica purchase on file. The knife cost me $52 and change delivered. Hitting the reorder button it now cost $75. Doing an upgrade on the blade steel from Takefu VG-10 to Hitachi ZDP-189 powder metallurgy steel increases the cost to about $105.

My New Spyderco-amazon-capture-jpg

The Chaparral Lightweight model is a Sal Glesser designed, back lock, thumb opener, with nested stainless liners, and FRN scales the same as a Delica. It has a Carpenter CTS-XHP powder metallurgy blade. The fit and finish of the Taichung made knife equals or exceeds that of any of Spyderco's manufacturing facilities/contractors. At $88 some folks may find it a better option than a Delica.

By the way, The blade thinness and geometry of the Chaparral make it an amazing slicer. The term light saber is often used when describing this attribute. My HAP-40 Manbug and my new Chaparral are the only two of my knives that have that level of slicing ability. And I have some very sharp knives.

My New Spyderco-manbug-chaparral-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amazon Capture.JPG (25.2 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg Manbug - Chaparral.jpg (109.2 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by kwselke; 07-13-2018 at 03:05 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: