View Single Post

Old 07-16-2018, 08:54 PM

Liked 920 Times in 303 Posts

My only experience is with Freedom Munitions, and its been generally good, but there have been issues. Their new manufacture 9mm Luger did (and may still have) dual thickness brass of their own construction, thicker on the bottom and thin at the top, creating a "shelf" midway in the case, supposedly to make loading quicker/cheaper, keep bullets from accidentally being pushed to low, whatever. This creates a weak point in the brass where the case can separate. I reported this on this forum a long time ago, I had multiple case separations in my UC-9 uzi, blowing up in my face on more than one occasion. My pictures I uploaded were used again by others, saw someone else post they had the same problem I did with a handgun. I never was injured by these, but its a bad deal anyway you put it.

My father has shot many thousands of 9mm Luger rounds from them through is Glocks, never a problem. I shot their remanufactured stuff through my Uzi with decent accuracy, but so low powered it had problems cycling the gun reliably, also having another round blow up in my face when a recycled proprietary case ended up in a lot.

Their 45 ACP ran in my Thompson and 1911 fine, but spat back at me in my M-24 1917, leaving unburnt powder everywhere. The 38 Special loads they made were OK for general short range handgun stuff, but weren't accurate out of my 1894ae, one even had a bullet lose its crimp and fall deep into the case. I never had any problems with their brass from the first shot, but after a few reloads through their old brass I had case head separation and full length case failures from some of their remanufactured 38 brass. I'm guessing they recycle brass that's "good enough" but a lot of it is old and mold for future reloading.

As prices close in, the remanufacturers are going to have a tough time.