View Single Post

Old 07-17-2018, 07:21 PM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgeargrndrr View Post
Practical minded, the 44.
Either is overkill IMO for deer.
If you wanted a handgun PRIMARILY for hunting, then the 460.
But this will be back up to the bow.

Bang flop on buck, or at least a very easy to follow trail? 460.
Make sure to Wear electronic hearing protection no matter what you choose

I'll second this! I'm God blessed with good hearing to start with. I got a pair of Howard Leight's electronic muffs a couple years ago. In the woods with them cranked up... I feel like my hearing is upgraded to super human status. Definitely an advantage on a hunt and when worn for outdoor shooting they are more than adequate to quiet down/make comfortable any of my hand-cannons and 7mm Remmy Magnum hunting rifle. When indoors wear them with plugs for hours of comfortable pistol practicing.

As to the OP's question, the .44mag or the .460. They are both more than adequate popping even the biggest of deer. 50 yards and less the .44mag is capable of taking down anything in continental North America.

I really like the .460 as well. But I think it would be overkill for most situations. I borrowed one from a friend for the weekend with .454 Casull, 200 grain Hornady's and Buffalo Bore (forgot the exact grain/load), in .460S&W. The POA/POI was so drastic between the three was remembered for sure. But if you are reloading I'm sure you could tailor and dial up whatever is consistent. But you can do that for the M69 as well.

Lastly, I can shoot 100 rounds of full house .44mags before I'm ready to move to something lighter. I certainly cannot do that with full house .460's. Something to consider.

Oh hell, just get both! That deer or bear won't know the difference!!!
The Following User Likes This Post: