Thread: Woods Revolver
View Single Post

Old 07-18-2018, 03:58 PM

Liked 155 Times in 40 Posts

I carry a sidearm with me all the time at my farm so that's 200+ days a year for past 20+ years. I started with a 4" model 19 in a Bianchi holster but I was a lot younger and stronger back then and loaded with Remington 158gr JSP it was comforting sidearm to carry.
After a while I moved on to a 3" model 10 loaded with 158gr SWC as I found the shorter barrel more comfortable to carry when seated in vehicle.
Then I moved on to a 2" model 63 loaded with CCI shotshell and Minimag. It was a wonderful little sidearm to carry but one time I got in a tussle with a water moccasin and found that the little 22 shotshell only made snake mad and trying to hit a moving snake with a snub nose revolver with solid 22lr round was very difficult...almost impossible.
Then for past 6 or 7 years I carried a 3" Ruger SP101 in 357 mag. You can kill pretty large snake with the CCI 38 Special snake shell from 4-5 feet away and the 158gr SWC @ 1,000 fps is nothing to sneeze at. I've used this round on many trapped hogs and never had one requiring second shot...but then you can do same with 22lr on trapped hogs if you know where to shoot.

Finally for past 4-5 years I've been carrying a 3" model 36 in a full flap holster I had built. I carry it with a lanyard clipped to my belt.
I've been happy with it as it's small and light yet powerful enough for my purpose.

BTW you need a good holster that fits your arm tightly with a good retention system. For may years I used a lanyard on my sidearm as it's easy for the sidearm to pop out while riding ATV/UTV/Motobike/etc.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: