View Single Post

Old 07-19-2018, 06:46 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
Presumably, you're referring to the Fifty Shades of Grey books. Doesn't seem as if you're referencing what I wrote about the Lost World prop guns.

Actually, I haven't read the books. I know a girl Online who said they're greatly overhyped and not as naughty as inferred. So, I didn't know that Christian Grey had an aversion to guns. He never wore one in the three movies, but has armed bodyguards: Taylor and that other couple in the third film... As a billionaire, he had cause for security.

Because I haven't read the books, I didn't know that Ana knew anything about guns. She was a recent college grad living in Seattle, a liberal city, and all her friends seemed liberal and non-gun people. And the author is English! So, I'm pleased and surprised that an uncle, etc. taught Ana.

The movies are very impressive. They have a good cast, directors,etc., and ample budgets, and the stars had enormous chemistry, on and off screen. Even Jamie Dornan's wife seems to like Dakota. The scenery is magnificent,and I loved the aircraft sequences.

Many women LOVE those books and films. The one with whom I watched the DVD's gushed profusely about them. I should point out that she's more my daughter's age than are most on this board. Actually, she's a few years younger than my daughter, who hasn't shown any interest in the series.
I think I understand the appeal of the stories, especially to women. I've read a couple of books by female psychiatrists about women's fantasies and see where that appeal is coming from. I'd better not say more on this board.

I am pleased that the author has enjoyed her terrific success. I think she sold more of those books than the other woman author did of her Harry Potter series. Both had astronomical success.

The author supposedly got her start on FanFiction.net, the big site for aspiring authors. There are some very good writers there, but the overall standard is low. My own short stories, based on a couple of TV shows, taught me to write fiction, very different from writing magazine articles, of which I already had ample experience. I have heard from several ladies that the Shades writing is not especially good. It is the theme, the adventurous romance between Christian and Anastasia, that made the books so successful. Many women are bored by their love lives. I can tell you, the films are quite well made, with excellent casts and settings. If you liked the books, you'll probably be very pleased with all three films. You can see many interviews with the stars and film clips on YouTube.

The girl with whom I saw the films at home kept gushing about how wonderful and emotional they were.
And they have certainly been enormous commercial successes. I'd have changed a few minor details, mainly in regard to a couple of Ana's outfits, and I'd have shown the bodyguards' weapons, discretely for the most part. These aren't action movies, with a lot of gunplay.

You said a male relative taught Ana to shoot. That reminds me of Suzanne Arruda's books about an American girl in Kenya in the 1920's. She learned to shoot on her father's New Mexico ranch. Besides her rifle, she wore a hunting knife made by a ranch hand, in her boot. I picture it as a copy of Marble's Ideal model, with five-inch blade.

I met Prof. Arruda at a book signing and offered some advice on suitable guns. A college peer was giving her some miserable advice in the earlier books of that series. I gave her a spare copy of John Taylor's, "African Rifles and Cartridges" that she found very helpful. And the author credited me as an advisor in later books. That feels pretty good!

Anyway, in the last two, Fifty Shades books, look at that gun. It's a S&W M-36, the usual blued snub version. Could be a M-37, as the only difference is the light alloy frame vs. steel. I couldn't tell which auto the female bodyguard had in the scene where Jack was caught in the Greys' home.

For what it's worth, Dakota's dad, Don Johnson, has used some interesting guns in his roles, like "Miami Vice." He told an inviewer that he probably won't see Dakota's movies in that series, as he's read, "Story of O" and that's all he needed to know about such plots. I've read that book and seen the film, and he's generalizing too much. There are definite differences between Christian Grey, who married Ana, and the cynical, self possessed Sir Stephen of Pauline Reage's book. The latter, BTW, strikes me as being quite French in its outlook. I hope that Patvince and any other French members won't see that as a negative comment. It's just a cultural observation.
I’m sure don Johnson isn’t watching the movies because he doesn’t want to see his daughter naked and being submissive to some dude. As a father of a daughter, I don’t blame him.