View Single Post

Old 07-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Banned

Liked 1,609 Times in 660 Posts
Default Thoughts on carry guns

Here's some of my thought's guys/gals... I'm not a professional, not military or LE. I'm just a guy who has been shooting & participating in shooting events since the 8th grade. I've been licensed to carry for years and have carried IWB and OWB several different types of handguns. So what I'm about to say is based on my own personal experience.

I've owned/carried/sold over the yrs...

9mm & 40s&w M&P shield
M&P bodyguard 380 (no laser)
Kahr CM9
Kahr K9
Kahr CW40
Glock 23 gen 4
M&P 9mm
Kel tec P32
S&W 642
S&W mod 10 4" HB...
Bulgarian makarov 9x18
Bersa Thunder 380.

Now, I never owned all of these guns at the same time. And I currently only own 4 firearms. Some of the handguns listed above I've used in local IDPA matches & a local charity match as well. I strongly believe in using what you carry so that's what I've done. Of all these handguns, I sold most of them because of quality/reliability/carry issues. Others I've sold, such as the bersa Thunder because it's basically the same size as the K9 & Shield so why carry a 380 if you have a 9mm that's the same size gun? (9mm ammo costs less too )

Of the guns listed, that I've carried, I still feel the M&P shield 9mm was the best all around handgun for personal defense for ease of comfort for carrying, ease of finding accessories & reliability. I would pick the 9mm over the 40 shield based on shootability, 40s&w in a small poly frame compact is not shooter friendly. I used it in IDPA under the stress of having my friends watch me woodchuck it. But with the 9, I could shoot it faster & put more hits on target.

2nd runner up would be the S&W 642. For a revolver, it pocket carries very well in a appropriate pocket holster.. Much better in the pocket than the shield. The shield is a gun that belongs in a holster on your belt IMO.

And finally, for the mouse gun enthusiasts a special shout out to Kel Tec's P32.

For a pistol that can be had for $230 bucks (As of 2018) I am impressed with it's reliability & lightweight. It's chambered in 32acp however the magazine holds 7 + 1 in the chamber. I mainly use the P32 for when I'm out on the jogging/hiking trails in south Texas because of its small size & even fully loaded it's around 8 ounces if that...

So there ya have it... Let me know of your thoughts and if anyone has a question on a specific model gun that I mentioned above, then ask me what i think of it, and why i sold it.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: