View Single Post

Old 07-21-2018, 02:06 AM

Liked 6,022 Times in 1,306 Posts
Default Slide cycling too fast, not too slow. Increase recoil spring weight.

I had this problem with one of my .45acp 1911’s. When shooting full power loads the last round would catch on the case mouth which would be jammed on the chamber mouth with the case base still held by the breachface area.

The problem was the light factory (about 9 Ib) recoil spring in the pistol. When there were rounds in the mag the slide would move slowly enough under the upward pressure of the round to give time to eject the case. With no subsequent round to put pressure on the slide to slow it down the slide would slam forward so fast the case did not have time to eject.

Installing a 14 Ib recoil spring (standard for 230 gn full power .45 ACP is 18 Ib). the problem was cured and lighter powered (120 PF) rounds still functioned

I suspect your spring kit has a too light recoil spring. This happens when people think “lighter spring and faster slide is better”. In fact a heavier spring slows down the rearward travel of the slide allowing time for the case to eject, and less muzzle rise as the spring absorbs the impact of the slide reaching its rearward travel, coming to a halt before moving forward again. There are some YouTube videos showing how slowing down the slide actually reduces felt recoil and muzzle rise.

Try putting your original recoil spring back into the pistol and see what happens. If it cures the fault try a spring weight half way between the two and repeat until you find the lightest spring that functions properly in your pistol.