View Single Post

Old 07-29-2018, 12:06 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default CHP Mod 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPlaca View Post
I joined the CHP in 1980. As cadets, we were issued the Model 67 (4"-barrel revolver) or the Model 68 (6"-barrel revolver). Both capable of the .38 +P+ ammo. We selected either one, I went with the Mod. 68. The pistols were stamped "CHP" on the frame. What we were told by our weapons instructors at the time is that prior to the time when the CHP started issuing these guns, officers were allowed to carry either .38 or .357 revolvers. The 2 most popular were S&W and Colts. When the CHP started issuing a specific revolver and basic ammo, they went with one firearms company (basic state-mandated bidding process) and one cal. ammo for bulk purchase (also though bidding process). The CHP weapons staff evaluated all proposed firearms and ammo under specific criteria of performance and safety. The one "political rule" was they could not call the ammo "hollow point bullets", probably because it sounded too cruel. So they labeled it "Controlled Expansion" rounds. There was no issue about whether the higher powered ammo would hurt too much. We were trained to hit center-mass for maximum effect and maximum chance of hitting the target. Deadly force is just that!

Regarding the use of .38 Cal. instead of .357 Mag., my understanding (from my instructors) is that it was an issue of ammo interchangeability. That is, in a fire fight, if an officer ran out of ammo, their partner could provide one of their speed-loaders full of the same ammo that would fit. Both .38s and .357 could take the .38 ammo, whereas only the .357s could use .357 magnum ammo. So the .38 won out. Granted, this was a rather far-fetched rationale, but it sort of makes sense.

While on the job, I noticed that even though the CHP issued the S&Ws, many officers purchased and carried their own sidearms while still using the required issued .38 cal. ammo. The CHP eventually lifted their restriction on .38 Cal. ammo, only - around 1988, I think. I purchased and carried a S&W Mod. 686, .357 Magnum and carried .357 Mag. ammo in it, which the CHP provided. This was in the days before the CHP went to automatic pistols.
In 1983 as a CHP cadet I chose the mod 67 then requested to exchange it for the mod 68. The weapons staff stated they would not exchange it and I could request the change once I was assigned to West Valley CHP. While in the Academy the hammer nose on my mod 67 broke 5 times. Most likely due to all the dry firing we did. After a month on the job at a range day the hammer nose broke again. Back at the office I requested a mod 68 and was told I had to keep this mod 67 and the armorer replaced the hammer nose. Having absolutely no faith in the mod 67 I told the armorer to keep it. I went to the Captain, requested a letter to avoid the 10 day wait period, went down to the LAPD Academy and purchased a mod 19.

When we were issued the 4006 I purchased a CHP mod 68 from the department. Another officer didn't wish to purchase their 68 giving me the opportunity to purchase it. About a week after purchasing the 68 I took it to the range and the hammer nose broke, LOL. I had real bad luck with 67 & 68 hammer noses. I placed it in the back of my gun safe where it sat for the past 30 years with a broken hammer nose.

Recently I purchased a new hammer nose and replaced the broken one. The mod 68 has been resurrected and now one of my NRA Bullseye guns. The 68 does have another issue. The barrel is canted. I did not notice this when I purchased it. It's canted to the point that the rear sight needs to be adjusted all the way to the right. I contacted Smith & Wesson and they agreed to look at it. I'm waiting for the shipping label to send it in for repair.
The Following User Likes This Post: