View Single Post

Old 07-31-2018, 12:16 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts
Default Model 39 SN 7175 with short safety lever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFRC View Post
Sure thing!
Thanks for posting. I like it. Do you have box / papers and / or a Historical letter on this one ?

Richard McMillan's original work on the early 9mm S&Ws indicates the short lever was eliminated at around SN: 8000. Of the early short levers I've notices some that appear a tad longer than the very early short levers, but still the "short"variation with non relieves stocks before the official 'longer' safety levers show up to stay.

Is the magazine a flat follower or the figure 8 stamped steel ? By that exceptionally long floor plate / tongue on your magazine, I'd suspect it to be the figure 8 stamped steel follower type. Can you photo for bottom of magazine and measure the length of the floor plate. I have many of those magazines with various size / length floor plates and assorted stamps on the floorplates, e.g. Some 9mm, some S&W 9mm some just S&W with a few different Ampersand type.

I will try to find and examine more of the 5000 to 8000 serial number range 9mms to determine further, but of those I seen others, in addition to the 2 I own, that have the longer safety levers with relief cut stocks in the 5000 and 7000 range than shorter. Here's another topic for further research.

Thanks again. Sal

Last edited by model3sw; 08-03-2018 at 10:21 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: