View Single Post

Old 08-02-2018, 05:36 AM

Liked 25,883 Times in 8,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan View Post
I noticed a few days ago that the head of the grip screw in my Uncle Mike’s 59010 J-Frame boot grip had begun to show some considerable rust.

Grip is attached to my current EDC, a 1988 Model 60ND, 2” bbl.

I was able to clean off the rust using just a small amount Mothers Mag polish and was also able to clean into the slot. When done, the screw seemed to retain all of its black color.

As it actually looked pretty good when I was done, I applied a coat of RenWax and re-inserted the screw.

After a couple of days, the rust appears to be returning.

May I assume that I can just paint the screw head with some rust-preventive paint? Will this be a longer-term fix?

Finding a replacement screw also seems a bit of a challenge. I even wrote to Uncle Mike’s (now Bushnell) and they responded that the part is no longer available.

I know that this is a minor issue, but any suggestions for a more permanent fix or where I might be able to locate a suitable replacement would be appreciated.

Grip Screws are probably the most common and first part of a gun to rust. After all, that is where your sweaty hands are touching the gun the most.

You can keep the screw head lightly oiled however eventually it will rust anyway. You can also keep cleaning off the rust and re-bluing the screw but that only lasts a while. I prefer to high polish the screw head with Flitz and keep it that way. Even though there is no bluing or protective coating, the smooth and high polish is much easier to keep rust free and in the event you do get a few specs of rust, just hit it with a little Flitz and a Dremel Flannel Wheel. BTW, not only does the Flitz shine up the screw and remove minor rusting, it also leaves a protective layer on the screw head.