View Single Post

Old 08-04-2018, 08:16 AM
US Veteran

Liked 180 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
This is not directed toward you littleriver1. It's just a generic viewpoint using this statement:I think we've all made this statement at one time or another. It's not completely accurate. What it probably should state is, "I once sold [something] for less than I might have sold it for to someone else."

Value is a fluid thing and changes depending on the people involved, their experience and the depth of their pocket. Value is determined by only two people; the guy with the stuff and the guy with the currency. Whenever something is sold, that's its value. It doesn't matter what some book or some friend said, if money and merchandise exchanged hands, that was the value of the thing at that moment.

I once sold a Marlin rifle for $600. According to the "Blue Book" it was worth $350 in 100% condition. Nothing is ever in 100% condition. According to what most will tell you, I sold it for more than it was worth. That obviously isn't true, because it was worth $600 to at least two of us. I didn't want to sell it, but getting that price allowed me to buy an AR for my father-in-law and seeing his grin was worth every penny.

I once sold a Browning BT-99 to a friend for $650. The "Blue Book" said it was worth $900. So what? He didn't have the full price and it was worth it to me to see him with a good shotgun.

Value is fluid. The worst thing you can do is to sell something and then after the sale go looking for similar transactions on the internet. If you're the buyer I promise you'll find lower prices and if you're the seller you'll find higher prices. So what? Be happy with the transaction or don't make it. You'll only find regret when looking behind.
Well said but knowing it doesn’t change anything. I still regret it plus a lot of other youthful indiscretions. A fact of life I learned young is that no one has a lot of regard for other peoples regrets.
The Following User Likes This Post: