View Single Post

Old 08-05-2018, 01:32 PM

Liked 29,310 Times in 13,856 Posts
Default Nyclads....ahead of their time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
What he said! The FBI load used since back in the '70s was that blue colored Nyclad™ bullet in a nickel plated case with a +P charge. They ran them in all sorts of 2" and 3" guns with great effectiveness, right up until bottom loader madness took over. That's what rides in both my 2" Baby Chief and my 3" Model 60-4 and "Yea though I walk through the valley of evil..." For practice, a good cast or swaged LSWC over a recommended charge of 231 will give close enough performance to let you develop the proper familiarity and feel. Oh yeah, they load well out of speed loaders if that is a concern!

Froggie
What is a polymer coated semi wadcutter hollow point with a +P loading in a nickel case. Back in the 70's it was a Nyclad. A very good round but kind of expensive.

Today, I call it a 'reload'. Polymer coated SWCHPs are easy to obtain. The Nyclad coating was nylon, but I'll bet that today's coatings are at least as good.

So even though Nyclads are gone. (I have a few for old time's sake) They are actually common. Is there any factory made polymer coated SWCHP defense ammo now?

Besides, the SWC shape is more amenable to reloading an empty gun. Do you use speedloaders?