View Single Post

Old 08-05-2018, 04:59 PM

Liked 11,460 Times in 3,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWarhawk View Post
Just curious, what is the biggest animal you’ve killed with the XTP bullet?

I had the XTP factory load fail on a big cow elk on a Texas game ranch. Three shoulder hits and nothing penetrated the shoulder bone. It took a fourth bullet to the neck to put her down.

The biggest was a bull moose at about 40 yards. One shot with a Ruger Redhawk, 300 grain XTP at about 1200 fps. Hit him on about on the last rib at 40 yards. Bullet penetrated thru the chest cavity, the off side shoulder, and was found under the skin. Bull walked fast for maybe 30 or 40 yards, then died. Thankfully near a logging road.

On deer sized game, I usually use the 240 grain version, and almost always get complete penetration on broadside shots with lots of internal damage. Shots with some angle to them still penetrate deep enough to reach the vitals in any reasonable shot. A bad hit is a bad hit, no matter what you are shooting though. I have seen deer stay on their feet for a long time with their guts literally hanging out from bad hits with high power rifles, and video taped a pig hunt where a friend shot a big boar 6 times with a model 29 using factory Winchester Black Talon ammo. At least 3 of those hits were well placed. Frankly, it was a mess, and took way to long. The last round to the head at point blank range was the killing shot. The rest had expanded before penetration into the chest cavity, and created wicked flesh wounds.

Larry

Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-05-2018 at 05:02 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: