View Single Post

Old 08-08-2018, 08:58 AM

Liked 321 Times in 151 Posts

That brings up a point that always confounded me: Almost all gun guys will espouse rapidly expanding bullets as the only acceptable thing for SD, "energy transfer" or whatever, but then those same people in hunting threads will say how you have to have a solid bullet that can penetrate. Seems to me that stopping, say, a 180 pound deer isn't that far removed from stopping a human assailant. To my mind the main reason for expansion isn't a bigger wound channel or "energy transfer", it's to limit penetration to minimize danger to people beyond your target. Subject for another thread I think.[/QUOTE]

On a game animal the goal is kill and recover to process into food. A hole on both sides gives better opportunity for a blood trail. More penetration is better.

With people you want them to stop doing what caused you to feel justified in shooting them. You don't want over penetration because you don't want to hit a bystander. Less penetration better there but you need BALANCE of enough penetration hence lite fast bullets that expand more than what you want on a deer.

That is basic but should get the idea across.

Back to original thread - I like this project. I would pay a good pistolsmith to fix the internals since I'm not mechanically inclined. I would have it roundbutted since that is my preference, bead blasted and then some type finish to protect it from further rust. On a similar project I did just that. My gunsmith had another customer who did plating for down hole oil field equipment. Finish is a straw colored looks like the nickel Colt used to put on 1911 pistols. Not beautiful but it doesn't rust. Wish we still had access to that plater. Bobbed the hammer spur but can be carefully cocked for a deliberate SA shot. Mine was a Texas DPS trade in w almost no finish. In its early days w me it ended up hitting the ground hard then up under a car. Fished it out made sure it would cycle then finished up addressing the problem. Fortunately didn't have to shoot. Long story but my then wife had acquired a secret admirer who wasnt leaving wine and flowers. Guards at our office building were walking her to her car when i wasnt there plus we had a break in at the house. Anyway after revolver getting buggered went to unload it and cylinder wouldn't open due crane being sprung. Since I was pretty hyped up called the smith and he talked me through taking it apart while still loaded. Took it to him in a zip lock bag. While it isn't pretty and not collectible it is one heck of a working sixgun. Also having a good gunsmith for your best friend is a good thing.

Good luck on your project. Hope it turns out well. You have a chance to make that old M28 into exactly what you want it to be and you will never feel bad about modifying something some people see as collectible that ought to be left factory original if that matters to you. My gunsmith started doing the same thing to other folks revolvers. Folks call it a "GEM" job for the package name but his customers who also know me know it is a "JIM" job package. 1st time I was at the shop and a customer brought in a S&W that needed some gunsmith love and asked for a GEM job package I told my smith I wanted a royalty payment. Darned if I didn't get one too - a good cigar and a tumbler of good single malt.

Last edited by jwk; 08-08-2018 at 09:11 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: