View Single Post

Old 08-09-2018, 10:44 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,781 Times in 1,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpg View Post
The stocks alone would easily bring $500.

The engraved gun is harder to guess at.

Unengraved, the gun would probably be worth $500 (without original stocks).

The engraving doesn’t detract from that value, but how much it adds depends on the buyer.

This is a gun that one of the high end auction companies (eg Rock Island ) would be ideal to consult. They often set up at good collectors shows (eg the Colorado Gun Collectors show every May). Give them a call.
I'd back this valuation up.

The stocks are fantastic and cross a couple different collecting spheres. The native carved walrus ivory is very collectable. That particular set is fantastic.

I would suspect a buyer of this gun would take the stocks off, keep them, and sell the gun.

Non-Factory engraving is very much eye of the beholder in terms of pricing. This particular engraving is a lot of coverage, but the work isn't top quality.

If you are going to insure it I'd go for 1500 - 2000.

If you are looking to sell it I'd expect whoever bought it to separate the gun from the stocks, I would be surprised if someone would keep the package complete.

I'd suggest that you keep it, as a family gun it's tops. If you are going to sell it I would imagine you already have a series of offers in your in box here, many of us love such character rich stocks as are on this gun.