View Single Post

Old 08-10-2018, 09:29 AM

Liked 3,520 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingsgr8 View Post
So, I've been doing some thinking, and here are a few things I found, i just don't know how relevant they are. The cylinder has some very light play rotationally, not enough to see, but enough to here, and some forwards and backwards play, again, not enough to see. The barrel leads quickly, first cylinder, of even my lightest loads (2.5gr of clays, 158gr cast). The leading looks worse on the right side than the left, it starts about 1/8" into the bore and continues for about as far. There are also machine marks on the forcing cone, it isn't smooth at all, the entire forcing cone is covered in rings, like it was cut with a lathe .005"/rev. Any thoughts?
Jerry Keefer (RIP) gave some very good advice on another forum. I can't improve on it:

"If you are looking for improved accuracy, do away with the forcing cone...They are archaic and antiquated..The Taylor Throat is far superior in performance. The standard forcing cone starts to disrupt and upset the projectile before it is even out of the chamber. With the Taylor system, the bullet is completely suppported and centered as it enters the rifling leade. Indicate the barrel on both axis and then make the cuts. After the freebore is made, I pick up the very edge of the existing forcing cone and blend it with a 1.5/2 degree taper into the freebore with a single point tool.. There are many such guns setting records and winning matches regularly."

Take care

Jerry
The Following User Likes This Post: