View Single Post

Old 08-13-2018, 06:36 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar015 View Post
Sal,
Thanks for the fact finding. Sounds like another rumor can be put to bed. Richard McMillan had the model 39-2 serial # 0013 at the Reno show and noted it had previously belonged to Roy Jinks.
I could be wrong but this story about the pre-issue 9mms (serial numbered at 1000 and under, excluding R&D and experimental X prefix guns) has been around so long and (until recently) resurrected only sporadically. Now, with the aid of the internet, has grown wings and a turbo.

Who knows where it started, what facts (if any) were originally accumulated to support it, who enhanced it as it came down through the years and how many variations this story took ?

I believe the only way to prove ANYTHING is to support it with physical evidence. In this matter, either S&W records and or one of the pre-issue serial numbered pistols in the "flesh" (metal). So far of any serial number of 1000 or lower, seems 714 to Jack Webb is the only provable exemplar.

Additionally, my gut instinct tells me ... if Mac doesn't own one, Kevin hasn't seen one, and, no other 39 collector has one, they likely do not exist. But finding S&Ws that are not supposed to exist is what we live for, so keep trying to prove my theory incorrect. However, until an authenticated exemplar surfaces (other than 714) I think it is just one of many S&W fairy tales flying around out there in hyperspace.

Last edited by model3sw; 08-13-2018 at 06:44 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: