Thread: Holster Rant
View Single Post

Old 08-14-2018, 12:47 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,135 Times in 1,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
Surprisingly incorrect: although the gunmen of the past did wear narrow belts, their holster loops were typically still wide: it was done to allow the 'sling draw' and Jelly Bryce was its biggest proponent. Bill Myres mentioned the technique in a 1950s newspaper article that included his pride in supplying Bryce. The famous image of Jelly's fellow Kansas City PD/F.B.I. partner Jerry Campbell shows this off well, as does the Life magazine pictorial on Bryce, as do many images of Bryce elsewhere.

1-3/4" wide belts were a byproduct of the 1970s and the hippie era that fostered them. There is never a worthwhile reason to wear a wide trousers belt to hold up a holster, except poor holster design for the pistol involved (usually a c-g problem). It's not rocket science, but it is science :-). Personally my builds are for 1-1/2" wide belts, a very mainstream width today. For concealment. For sporting they are 2-1/2" that also suits the more common 2-1/4".

The Texas Rangers of early 20th century were required to switch to narrow (as narrow as 1" width) for the Colt SAA and 1911 pistols. And the best known of them, Captain J.R. Hughes who had the Brill created for that purpose, lived into his 90s :-). Must've worked in the real world.

P.S. Love the image you use as an avatar :-). I sculpted those while Bianchi's chief of design, for Pachmayr to make for us.
What I failed to address was that pants in those days were fuller cut and had pockets large enough to conceal full-sized revolvers. I saw a hip pocket holster once with a tab that secured it by the rear pocket button; the holster was for a 4 inch Colt Police Positive Special. Colt's John Henry FitzGerald carried two cut down, or Fitz'ed, New Service revolvers in his front pockets. Of course he habitually wore Jodhpurs, so there was plenty of room for the large frame "snubbies."

I've seen several lots of clips to sew onto OWB holsters so the clips could be slipped over the belt. The clips were for 1 inch belts. I've also seen numerous comcealment holsters made by Chic Gaylord for one inch belts.

I too have 1.5 inch belts and have holsters to fit them.

As for the Lightning grips on my Model 13-3, they are perfect for concealment under a coat in a Don Hume JIT. On the other hand they throw the balance on a Model 12-2 way off. I'm thinking about laser scanning mine and seeing if I could 3-D print a set strong and light enough to be useful without wrecking the balance of lighter guns. You done good.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Luke 22:36
The Following User Likes This Post: