View Single Post

Old 08-16-2018, 07:06 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell Charter Oak Holsters View Post
Linda;

They look like Ropers designs. Chic Gaylord had very similar grips on two High Standard autos many years ago. I can't remember the models, maybe a "Supermatic" or "Trophy", fine guns, but I wasn't that interested in them back then. But the grips were exquisite, which jogged my memory when Geoff mentioned his brother's High Standard models. My guess would be Gaylord's were from the 1950's - 1960 ? I mention the time frame because I am entirely ignorant about Walter Roper's work and when his work was contemporary.

The OP shows a fine set of what appears as genuine Roper stocks.

Often some less knowledgeable colletors and sellers, see a similar pattern on flat panel HS stocks and start touting "ROPER GRIPS", NOT ! High Standard made factory stocks in the 1950s-1960s that surely had a copy of the Roper pattern but they were NOT Ropers. They were factory HS stocks.

Occasionally, still till today, I get into a similar discussion regarding High Standard. High Standard had a factory stock in the 1950s-1060s that appeared to have a Roper pattern to them and some with a wimpy little thumb rest but those are NOT Ropers, those are just factory HS.

HS also copied other popular trends like a large wheel high rear sight and stippling on the front and rear grip strap they copies straight from John Giles. Although Giles had no patent on these enhancements, seeing those features on High Standard, one who does not know better, might mistake it for John Giles signature features ... or ... advertise and tout "Roper STOCKS" on an older HS when 9 times out of 10 they are not.

Last edited by model3sw; 08-16-2018 at 07:22 AM.