Thread: serialnumber
View Single Post

Old 08-17-2018, 10:35 AM

Liked 1,423 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duqjans View Post
Well yes, I know this method exists but it only works with shallow scratches. These punches seem very deep, on purpose it seems. As it is a gun with Belgian proof marks, maybe a consult of the archives of the proofhouse can reveil something more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
The extra numbers are factory internal codes that cannot help with the true serial number.

One possibility is that the bottom of the grip frame can be smoothed out and the serial number raised by applying a chemical to the area. I have read about this being done but have no details about the specifics.
As an old auto theft detective (however this is not an old auto, ha), I can tell you that raising a stamped serial number that has been ground off is possible using the acid method as stamping stresses the metal far below the surface and a ground off number will appear as a shadow. I went to a school for this and have actually used the method with success. However, punching out the serial number as opposed to grinding it off (taught in the school) makes it almost impossible to raise as the punching also stresses the metal below the surface. I assume whoever did this new exactly what they were doing, deliberately obscuring the number so it cannot be raised.