View Single Post

Old 08-18-2018, 03:35 AM

Liked 5,781 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDH View Post
All it takes is money~
Takes a lot more than the money when it comes to finding something like this. FTR - If I turned and sold this one today, I would make an immediate profit. In this case, the seller is smart enough to know this referring to potential retail value. He knew this gun is in my vertical of interest when he saw the gun. This is probably why he bought it in the first place. The seller is a close friend and I made the buy very easy. I always do. The best is not cheap unless the seller is unaware of true value. People from time to time ask how do you find these amazing guns? I heavily network. I don't take advantage by snookering others when I know more and I am respectful. With guns at this level when they come up, I buy from reputable sellers who make reasonable profit from their ongoing good customers. The second thing - I don't nickel and dime people. Some buyers even when they are offered a great amazing price for a good gun just have to squeeze the rock and haggle. When you see the best of the best and the price is reasonable, hopefully not full retail buy on the spot. If you have the money this is my suggestion when something special comes up. How many times have you heard, "I let that one go if only" or "I waited too long and someone scooped it up underneath me". The ones that got away. The dealers who get the best guns do so from happy customers and in turn sell to those that make the buying cycle easy. The coolest of collectors with the best stuff more times than not sell to friends and more times than not are not doing so at retail. They sell to someone who is appropriate and someone who specializes in a vertical. The person that either needs or deserves the gun. Why will I not fire this one? I am a caretaker. I am responsible for keeping this gun as it is for future generations. I drove 6 hours to pick this one up personally so some idiot along the way couldn't "f" it up in transit while shipping. This revolver has been well taken care of 90 years. This revolver looks straight out of the box new from factory. One bad move and it is damaged forever unrecoverable. The seller knows this, he knows I know this. The seller wanted the gun in the right hands not sold to someone who would destroy it based on lack of proper and appropriate care. I understand why some would want to fire a gun like this, but there are other guns better suited than a rare unfired registered magnum with a matching numbered to the gun box complete with tube and cert. To make my point here is a set of guns I bought last week again way below retail value. They were not inexpensive; however they are very special. The seller knew exactly what he had. Another very good friend mentor and I am a good customer.

For those not in this vertical - this is a parked 1911A1. Absolutely perfect RS marked 1941 very early with plastic stocks (another ****** IPhone shot). The second gun was bought also as a pair with the Colt. Excellent condition Walther PP with rare NSKK markings. 1938 with Crowne-N proofs. These are unicorns you just can't find. Again the seller knew this.

I hope this information is useful. Last comment it doesn't matter if the gun is in the few hundred range, few thousand of six figure price. This rule applies to even the most inexpensive guns. My favorite gun I bought in the last 7 days cost me 400 dollars. A story for another time.

Last edited by bigl1911; 08-19-2018 at 10:14 PM.
The Following 41 Users Like Post: