View Single Post

Old 08-19-2018, 01:51 AM

Liked 7,749 Times in 2,127 Posts

I did take a stroll through McGivern's thick book. Which reminds me that Ed is undeservedly misunderstood by virtue of being a trick shooter, with one sage saying his teaching would be of no use in the modern day of shooting while moving or while targets were moving; when instead McGivern taught both.

Anyway, despite his lengthy discourse on drawing and hitting, and quickly; and his close proximity to the appearance of the F.B.I. and his chapters on the agency itself and the letter from Mr. Hoover himself; nevertheless he doesn't seem to explicitly describe his ideal drawing methodology.

But -- this fascinated me as being the product of the transition of terminology from 'combat shooters' to 'practical shooters':

'For years I have been deluged with arguments and discussions, between the careful holding, very deliberate target shooters, on one side, and the somewhat faster and generally referred to as "practical shooters" on the other side. Here we find the so-called practical or defense shooters poking fun at the slower, deliberate fire . . . [who] in their turn . . . poke fun at the "Slam! Bang" crowd, as they sometimes like to call those generally referred to as the "practical shooters".'

It seems that Cooper, with his establishment of IPSC ('P' for Practical) in '76, in choosing that word to avoid the use of the 'combat' or 'defense' terms, was not ahead of his time; Ed's book was published 1938!

Last edited by rednichols; 08-19-2018 at 01:57 AM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: