Thread: M&p 10 problem
View Single Post

Old 08-19-2018, 02:46 AM

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default M&p 10 problem

I recently bought an M&p 10 chambered in 308/7.62x51. Its a few months old. I bought it brand new. Upon purchasing a new gun, I ALWAYS clean and lube it before shooting, and I did with this one as well. My first trip to the range didn’t go so well. First off, it was an indoor range that only allows frangible ammo. I don’t know if it was short stroking or what but it would fire, the trigger would reset but it wouldn’t pick up another round. I could pull the charging handle and it would then pick up the next round, but it wouldn’t do it automatically. I fired 8 rounds and didn’t end on an empty mag, so I don’t know if it would’ve locked open or not. I took the gun to my local gunsmith. He looked at it for me, checked the gas flow and said everything looked fine. I notic3d there was an un usual amount of brass shavings in the chamber (something I didn’t even get in small amounts in my M&p 15. He told me that it was normal and I’d get less and less as I break the gun in. He also told me to use nothing but brass ammo and no frangible until after a good break in period and to make sure I lubed the gun up very well during this period.

After a good cleaning and lubing, I went to my friend’s range. Here, I used Winchester jacketed soft points, two 20 round mags and it worked perfectly, both mags. I thought I had fixed the problem, so I’d continue to break it in, slowly but surely as my funds are tight at the moment. Still noticed the brass shavings and noticed there was a nice gash in the casings, but, again, the local gun smith said it was normal (he inspected the brass as well as the shavings in the chamber) .

After a good cleaning and lubing, a few weeks later I went BACK to my friends range. This trip didn’t fare as well. The first mag, my friend fired. It was some remington core lockt soft point. That mag was fine. I had some federal MATO 7.62x51 that I loaded up next. Same thing as the frangible, it fired, the trigger reset but it didn’t pick up the ext round. I charged it, fired again, this time it was a stove pipe. After this, I tried the remington again, and I was getting a mixture of: stove pipes, failure to chamber a round but reset trigger/hammer and a few that worked fine. Upon empty mags after the first successful mag, the bolt would not lock open.

After a good cleaning and lubing, a few weeks later (which was yesterday 8/18/18) I took it to a range a ways away from where I live but that allowed me to use regular ammo. I was determined to break it in as much as possible. I probably fired around 80 rounds. The first 3 20 round mags worked perfectly. The first 2 was the remington soft point and the third was the Winchester soft point. I decided to use some perfecta 308 FMJ I had. I fired 2 or 3 rounds before the first malfunction. Failure to chamber, but the trigger had reset. After this, the remington that worked before and the oerfecta was giving me mixtures off stove pipes, failure to chamber and the remington worked right a few times (chambered a round) but others it either stove pipes or didn’t chamber. When I went to clean it tonight I noticed the shavings again. I took pictures of it, which I will post here. I also have pictures of some of the brass from another outing, which the brass from this outing looked exactly the same. I initially called S&w and they said I could send it in, but also suggested I give it a proper break in period. I am at probably about 120-150 rounds at this point (I believe). I’ve read online that 200 rounds is a good break in, then I had the guy at the gunsmith shop tell me 800 rounds and someone at the range yesterday told me 600 and someone else at the same range told me 1000. Any tips would be greatly appricated. Sorry this is so long winded, I wanted to give as much info as I could remember. I’m also going to post a picture of one of my snap caps. It’s marked up like crazy, though I’ve cycled it several times as a function tests and to see how badly it got scored up.

Last edited by Smthwssonshootr; 08-19-2018 at 12:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: