Thread: M&p 10 problem
View Single Post

Old 08-21-2018, 08:15 PM

Liked 803 Times in 419 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smthwssonshootr View Post
That’s about where I am at at this point. The ONLY things that have kept me from doing it was the fact that the S&w guy told me to break it in then call if it’s still giving trouble (after telling me to send it in originally then changed to break it in after I told him I haven’t broken it in yet) and someone else who claims to own one said that after 1000 rounds it worked fine with any ammo. So, I’m worried if it IS just a matter of breaking it in, sending it to S&w would be a waste of time because I’m going to have the same issues when I get it back, either because I’ll be breaking in a brand new rifle OR I’ll be CONTINUING to break in the old one. Breaking it in fully probably isn’t something I’ll be able to do quickly. Considering the cost of ammo and range time, it’s going to take a year at least to get to 1000 rounds. I’m probably going to send it in.
The brass shavings come from an errant burr or sharp edge on the chamber or magazine.. I have a Rock River with an older 5 round ASC magazine, it did exactly what your's is doing..

I took it to the mechanic at Hilltop Gunshop at the next gun show and he ran several dummy round through it and showed me where the magazine was causing it to shave lead off the bullet, and brass off the case.. the rifle was throwing flyers fairly frequently... I would note that it was a steel magazine.

Took it to the farm with a couple of Colt 20 rounders, and its worked awesome ever since, it really doesn't group as well with Polymer Magazines.

I ordered a 5 five round aluminum magazines from the first company and they all work beautiful.

So try to use a couple of different mags to start with, maybe ask the factory to replace the two that likely came with the gun...

I didn't see where you had mentioned the number or source of your magazines, the magazine is the number one culprit when AR's, 1911's of a quality source fail to function properly...

and any of those gun lubes will work fine, the motor oil has a higher viscosity than the light gun oils and may hang on a little better, but it could also accumulate more debris...

And give your gun exactly what it likes, why use cheap steel case, or even the frangible ammo if you know your gun doesn't care for it...

do make sure and give the chamber a good cleaning with a chamber brush designed specifically for that purpose.

Last edited by BillyMagg; 08-21-2018 at 08:24 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: