View Single Post

Old 08-24-2018, 02:43 PM

Liked 808 Times in 342 Posts

Over a hundred years ago, something like the FN 1910 was state-of-the-art in concealable defense. The 1922 was a brilliant answer to giving countries on a budget a service pistol that would be a lot easier to shoot than the 1910. There were police agencies carrying them up into the 80's. The Dutch Politie Troepen (I believe they still exist), carried .380 1922s with SIX 8-round magazines! Here's an interesting topic for debate: who was better armed during the 30s-50s'? 1. The Dutch Trooper with a 4.4 inch barreled .380 and 48 rounds in quickly-changed magazines? 2. A typical American cop with a six-shot revolver and .38 Special, with reloads in dump pouches or loops? It's not so-clear cut, of course. Differences in training would trump the differences in guns, and most police users of the 1922 went with .32ACP. So did the Nazis, who had over 400,000 made during the war (that was the pistol showcased in the National Rifleman). For me, I would go with the Dutch choice! I wish I had one of those 1922s! Today, I would probably go with a compact 9mm Parabellum for concealed carry. With lighter ammo (like Critical Defense), a locked breech gun doesn't kick that much.