View Single Post

Old 08-25-2018, 11:35 PM

Liked 164 Times in 58 Posts

I've got a stainless P89 decocker only that I bought way back in the day (1990, IIRC). I never really shot it much and only have about 2500 rds through it.

When I bought it, it was solely to test my 9mm reloads. I had just bought a W German Sig P226 to carry though Police Academy and didn't want to blow up the P226 since I was brand new to reloading. One of the gun rags (Guns and Ammo, IIRC) ran an article about the P89 when it first came out. Ruger put the gun through a LOT of destructive testing to ensure it was rugged as all get out. In one test, they threaded a plug into the barrel a very short distance ahead of a chambered cartridge, then shot the gun. The extractor blew out and was replaced and they proceeded to shoot the snot out of the gun with no issues at all. When you get right down to it, that's really not that big of a deal today, but it was impressive to me as a young guy.

Another test was to cut away all of the slide immediately below the ejection port and shoot the snot out of it. Again IIRC, after 5000 rds, they eventually quit testing because absolutely no dimensions or tolerances changed at all. Aside from the section of the slide they cut away, the gun was still exactly the same as it was when it left the assembly line.

After I got the pistol, I found out that I liked it in its own right. Although I don't have a ton of rounds through it, it has always run flawlessly, even with some ******, corroded, tarnished ammo I tried in it. If the primer goes off, the gun shoots, cycles, feeds (as long as the cartridge is close enough to factory dimensions) and chambers. I liked the gun so much that, when stoked with MecGar 17rd mags, it did night stand duty for several years. Mine is semi retired now but they are like the AK of the handgun world. They are kinda clunky and chunky but they just run and run and run.