View Single Post

Old 08-27-2018, 12:07 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

Been carrying a J Frame since the early 70's, with several different other handguns for concealed carry. My main concern has always been whether or not I will perform well. I don't carry anything I don't trust. I love revolvers, but I also enjoy carrying my Shields. I seem to always come back to my J Frames, specifically a Centennial model either steel frame or airweight, depending on whether I carry them in a pocket or on my belt, and mostly that depends on the pockets in the pants I am wearing. I prefer the steel frames in a belt holster, but I get along with the light weights in a suitable pocket just fine. I love a couple of my 2" steel K Frame snubbies, and carry them some, but as you know, they are heavier, which is tolerable in a belt holster, but they are also larger than the J Frames, and I usually move back to the smaller revolvers.

I am very comfortable with .38 Special ammo, especially since that ammo has evolved into good +P loadings. I gladly will accept some expansion if it happens, but my first priority with any loading is that is gives sufficient (in my view) penetration. Perhaps because I have carried revolvers for so very long and and am totally programmed to shoot, reload, and fire them, I am very comfortable with them too. It has long been my belief that a good .38 special loading in a five shot revolver will be enough for most of my needs. Enough is enough! Every choice we make involves some compromise. Each of us must make those choices for ourselves. I think having great confidence in what we carry and use is very important. I also think that any of us will more likely carry something that we are very familiar with and comfortable with, both for performance and easy secure carry. When I belt carry, the holster and the gun is always in the same place, regardless of what I carry there. I try to keep things as simple and uncomplicated as I can. What I'm describing here is my choice. Not saying it should be yours. There is little question ever in my mind that what I carry EDC with respect to equipment is dependable, based on long experience with that equipment.

The other question always remains ... will I be dependable if and when the necessity might arise to need to use it. I think so, because I am totally commited to having that equipement at hand every day, all the time, and I long ago commited myself to making the best accomodations possible having it there. I am also comfortable with using that equipement if I deem it necessary, and dealing with the consequences that go along with that. Doesn't matter what equipment one has if there is hesitation to use it or if it is not at hand! Took me a good while to distill my choices down to the few I list above, and I have made few changes to those choices for a very long while. Like I said, this works for me!