View Single Post

Old 08-28-2018, 11:12 AM

Liked 572 Times in 256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct269 View Post
It is beginning to be a puzzle as to why folks are so quick to identify the capability to shoot specials from magnum chambers as a benefit. It can't be that they don't know, so it must be that they don't care. If that's the case, then so be it---case closed.

There is no question specials can be fired from magnum chambers---if the shooter is not concerned with accuracy. But then we have the conundrum of why shoot if you don't care about accuracy? Or you reckon maybe there's an accuracy which is "close enough"? That'd be pretty sad.

By way of review for any neophytes in the crowd, the longer the throat the less the accuracy. Shooting specials in a magnum adds what---1/10" to the throat? If that doesn't sound like enough to hurt, figure it as a percentage increase. Then factor in the bullet scraper you've introduced into the equation. It's sitting in the magnum's chamber 1/10" ahead of the special's case mouth. One can only imagine what that's doing to the bullet as it passes by---and one can only wonder about the effect on accuracy.

If you want to know, get a Ransom machine rest---and get answers. But fair warning: Once you use a machine rest you're going to find out just how well your guns shoot. Then comes the problem of figuring out how come you can't even come close. It's a great motivator----or it'll drive you nuts!!

Ralph Tremaine
I was going to say the same thing...but you beat me to it.

I have a 4" 629...and a brutal little Charter Bulldog in 44 spcl only. With spcl, the 629 is a joy to shoot (the bulldog, not so much)...but like you said, I want top accuracy. Eventually I want a designated 4 spcl revolver.

For now, I don't reload...but that will soon change. I'm getting to the point where I have quite a bit of nice 44 spcl brass as well. After the reloader...either I'll get a designated 44 spcl from S&W (if they make one again), or a Ruger like the GP100 in 44spcl they recently released.

I know there's many like the 44 magnum/spcl...but it really is my favorite cartridge and in my opinion, one of the most versatile when you reload. From small frame revolvers in spcl, to big magnums, to near 454 loads in a large frame revolvers like a Super Redhawk...even to a lever action rifle. There's really nothing you can't do with the 44.