View Single Post

Old 09-10-2018, 08:12 PM

Liked 4,674 Times in 2,062 Posts

I started out with a Lee Turret press and if I had started with a single stage press I doubt if I would have kept reloading. The turret press stays set up for each stage rather than set up and take down to reset up for each stage. I also removed the rotation rod and I rotate to each position by hand. Sort of like having a single stage but it is set up for each stage without having to do anything but rotate the plate for each step and pull the handle. I feed the primers by hand into the press and I also use a hand de-primer tool to de-prime and clean cases before going into the press. Three pulls = 1 round.
Lee Turret press kit cost me about $139. The kit came with the powder loader. I bought a digital scale because the manual scale that came with the kit was a slow mo joke, 1 bottle Clays powder, 500 bullets, 1000 small pistol primers, 3 piece 38 spl die set, vibrator case cleaner, and a Lyman reload handbook. Total was around $320 and I was ready to reload.
It takes me around 50 minutes to load 100 rounds and that is with my checking rounds fairly often for length and weight.
Take special care learning how to set up the crimp or you might have quite a few dud rounds. My first bunch of reloads had a few rounds that just barely made it to the target 30' away and I had two squibs. That's when I called Hodgdon Clays and was told the crimp wasn't enough. He said the bullet was leaving the casing before pressure could build. The bullet box said don't crimp and so I didn't. I went back and ran all the other rounds setting the crimp and had no problems after that.

Luckily I knew to quit shooting when it didn't sound right or I could have had a real problem from a squib jammed barrel.

I know some are shaking their heads but all I can say is it was my first try at reloading. For that reason I say get someone that is experienced to help you with your first time reloading.

When I first got interested in re-loading everyone said go with a Dillon and be done with it. I checked into a Dillon 550 with all the bells and it came out to about $750. That was not counting the powder, primers and bullets. I said the heck with that. It wasn't till I found out about the less expensive Lee Turret press that I got into re-loading.

Last edited by gman51; 09-11-2018 at 05:40 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: