View Single Post

Old 09-11-2018, 05:13 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddietruett View Post
It is a sickness! I wish I had $1 for everyone including myself that has said, "a single stage press is all I will ever need. Not worried about speed or loading any great quantity" and then I would like to have another $1 for everyone of those people who have upgraded to a progressive press or two! Can you load ammo that I better quality and/or tailored to a specific gun? Yes. No question about it. Does reloading save money. Absolutely Not. When I started back in the late 70s I had a old Lyman turret press and probably shot 50 rounds a week. Fast forward to today. I have a Dillon 650, Lee Classic 1000, A Lee Single Stage "C" Press and the old Lyman Turret. Now I may shoot 200-500 in a long afternoon. But to me, loading is half the fun of owning guns. Every time I get a new gun, I will spend hours finding out which load works the best. Its almost a disappointment when a "old" load works almost perfect when trying out a new gun. Once you sort of master the standard target distances, then you will start shooting at distances. It's a never ending cycle and I love every minute of it. I'm real lucky. I have a place in the country and I can stretch my shooting out to around 80 yards. That's my peace time. All alone with my guns and no phones. Its a sickness and I hope I never get cured.
5 years into reloading and still using my Hornady single stage press. Still weighing every charge. 10 years from now I’ll be able to say the same. I shoot more now than I used to before I started reloading, but not dramatically more. My equipment cost total was maybe $700, and half of that was Christmas, father’s day, or birthday presents. The equipment is long paid for with my savings from reloading. I load 50 rounds at a time, whenev r I feel like it. Less in warm weather, more in cold.

Anybody who shoots more than a box of ammo or 2 a year is crazy not to consider reloading. After Newtown, if you could even find ammo, 9MM was going for like $18 for 50 target loads. If they stopped producing ammo today I have enough components on hand to load several thousand more, and I’m always picking up components. A box of primers here and there. A pound of powder every now and then. I’m immune to the next shortage. And there will be one.

Last edited by kbm6893; 09-11-2018 at 05:14 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: