Thread: Short Stroking
View Single Post

Old 09-13-2018, 07:02 AM

Liked 4,303 Times in 2,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDNAVYMCPO View Post
Let me preface this thread with a little background. First off, I built a new AR, my third such. This one I wanted to be iron sights only. Secondly, I reload for my 5.56 guns. My favorite powder for this is H 4895 which is also my favorite for my M-14. H 4895 has been in short supply locally so I decided to try H 4198. I reloaded 100 rnds on Sunday.

Monday, the wife and I went to the range as usual. We always shoot our handguns first, 100 rnds each. She shot her usual Rugers and I shot my S&W 4566 .45 ACP. I typically shoot at 10 yds rapid fire, she shoots at 7 yds.

After the handguns, I unlimbered my new AR. With my usual H 4895 loads, the gun functioned flawlessly. With the H 4198 loads it was short stroking with every shot. The Bolt Carrier Group would cycle enough to cock the hammer but not enough to engage and chamber the next round.

I had loaded 100 rnds of the H 4198 persuasion and was afraid that I was now going to have to eat them or else my new build was at fault.

Yesterday, I field stripped all three of my ARs and cleaned and lubed.

Today, took two ARs to the range, an older build and the new one. I was more than pleased that they both functioned flawlessly with the new reloads. Apparently the new build has to run wet ( heavily lubed).
I ALWAYS run my AR's "wet", it was how I was taught to do it. BTW, you sound an awful lot like me. All 3 of my AR's are home builds and I have NEVER shot one single round of commercial 223, every round I use is one of my own creations. Note, my preferred powders are Varget (for precision load) and CFE 223. Big plus for the CFE223 is that if meters wonderfully. Unlike Varget which requires trickling each and every charge to weight. I also use H110 for my 300 Blackout loads.

I've also Installed Syrac Ordinance Adjustable Gas Blocks on all 3 of my AR's. Started with the 300 Blackout build which has a 16 inch Wilson Combat barrel with a Pistol Length gas system for use with a supressor. When I saw how freaking clean that AR shot with the gas system tuned to the load I installed adjustable gas blocks on my other two AR's in 223. Combined with Nickel Boron plated carrier groups using one of these gas blocks can cut the typical cleaning time for the receiver in half or even more.

Also keep a hex tool specific to each rifle in the soft side bag for the rifle in the event it needs to be tuned at the range. Note, take a standard Allen wrench, cut off a length about 1.25 inch long and drill a small hole in a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum rod cut to the length required to go in under the hand guard and you have a no fumble tool to adjust the gas supply without removing the hand guard. If you a bit OCD like me you can even chuck it up in a Lathe and use a knurling tool to knurl the tip.
The Following User Likes This Post: