View Single Post

Old 09-13-2018, 08:14 AM

Liked 1,393 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 buck View Post
New technology...
We had the flying ashtrays...we had fast lighter bullets ie: 125 grn 357 mags

Point of fact there is very very little that can be done...
Bigger cavity hollow points ...
Softer lead ...
Better jacket retention ...
The flying ashtrays I remember were the 45 ACP loads with a hollow point so large that ability to feed them reliably was uncommon. So uncommon that being able to feed them was considered proof you had an exceptionally reliable 1911.

While the three variables you mention sound simple bullet manufacturers didn't really optimize the balance of expansion vs. weight retention very well in the past. Things like polymer tips to prevent hollow points from clogging and jackets bonded to the core help but todays bullets are mostly more refined versions of past designs. It's kind of like how today's cars are much more reliable than the 70s era cars from when I started driving. A lot more electronics but basically just more refined and better made versions of the same basic technology.

But while modern bullets are the best ever made they are not magic the way so many people think they are. Once you get below 9mm levels of power there is not enough energy to have both good expansion and adequate penetration and no bullet is going to change that.

I am also old enough to remember how Winchester silver tips in the 80s had a reputation as game changing technology that made the 9mm equal to larger calibers. Until there were a few failures that drove the FBI and other law enforcement back to larger calibers like the 40. History tends to repeat.

I feel comfortable carrying a 9mm with modern ammo. But I am not expecting 357 performance due to my carrying magic bullets.