View Single Post

Old 09-13-2018, 11:48 AM

Liked 1,324 Times in 487 Posts

I've owned a 940 and found it to be a great little revolver. It did occasionally have the sticky cylinder problem described above, but it shot great otherwise. From the recoil, I could tell that the 9mm was a bit more stout than most .38 loads. I wish I'd kept that little gun, but I have one stainless k-frame cylinder and one j-frame cylinder I'm considering sending to TK Customs or Pinnacle to be cut for 9mm/.38 Super/9x21 for the versatility.

Being an old, retired cop who started with a revolver and still carry one often today, I haven't lost my appreciation for the .38 Special, especially in the +p loads. I tend to carry my 340 M&P with Buffalo Bore 158 gr.+p FBI LHPSWC/GC at 1020 fps out of a 2" barrel most of the time. I recently was able to develop a hand load that comes pretty close to it using a similar lead cast HP bullet and Blue Dot powder. It makes for a heavier bullet traveling damn near as fast as the 9mm. In my mind, that gives the .38 better than equal footing with the 9mm loads.