View Single Post

Old 09-13-2018, 11:44 PM

Liked 1,467 Times in 593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMCM View Post
Perhaps this will help a bit...

Karl Nill 4506-1 grips fitted to a 1006. The frame window on the big 10 is longer and a tad narrower than that on a 4506-1 so I needed to do some fitting & molding here.

I did one side at a time. The frame was sprayed with Dow Corning Molykote 557 to serve as a mold release agent. Mounted the grip panel and secured with the fixing screws. Then filled the void with 3M Scotch-Weld DP270 Black epoxy potting compound. The DP270 is quite thin and flows very well to fill all the voids. After about six hours it cured enough to trim the excess with an X-acto knife. After 24 hours it's rock hard thus safe to pop the grip off and file it smooth flush with the wood.

What you don't see under the epoxy is a horizontal dovetail cut machined into the wood with a little tiny dovetail cutter about .085" wide on the big end. That cut mechanically anchors the epoxy fill to the wood such that no amount of force could pull the epoxy off without destroying the wood.

I know these are not quite the same as the Hogue wood but thought my experience might give you an idea how to proceed.

Cheers
Bill
Thanks. Am giving that a try with epoxy and some Brownells release agent. Considering how the grips slip into place, any problem removing them with the tight fit?