View Single Post

Old 09-13-2018, 11:49 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,614 Times in 8,589 Posts

Hi Bob,

Hmmm, well if not serial numbered on the barrel obviously it's not original along with the cylinder, so I agree they've been replaced, but not by the factory. The revolver most likely was in 455. Yes, possibly an American Bisley competitor that knew the 44 Spl inherent accuracy advantage over the 455.

As stated in the letter, the caliber was not indicated on the shipping record/invoice, so the original caliber will not likely come from Roy. But when the 2000 letter you have was written, I didn't get the impression Roy was told that the barrel and cyl were 44 with no or none matching numbers. So a new letter might be interesting given that knowledge and the 18 years of additional knowledge Roy has obtained.

I too hope the SWHF may have more info, but I'm not encouraged because the archives aren't digitized for all years. And they'd only have info on work the factory did, and we know the barrel and cyl are 44 with no or none matching numbers which confirms it was not done at the factory. But worth a try because if nothing is found, it won't cost you anything.

Robinson's old records if they still exist may be the best source of your revolver's original configuration or changes if Robinson was tasked with getting that work done for a customer, at a local gunsmith they used.

By the way, that .44 7 1/2" barrel is a scarce one!
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 09-13-2018 at 11:51 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: