View Single Post

Old 09-14-2018, 08:47 AM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
I have never seen a broken one, a photo of a broken one, or a first-hand account of someone who has broken one.

I would guess, absent information from someone authoritative at S&W, that they were discontinued because of slow sales, not fragility.
Truth on all accounts! I've seen a pic of TWO 696's that the FC was either bulged or cracked. And we never did get the facts as to what "really happened" with said examples.

In fact, I've seen way more "K" frames cracked beneath/around the forcing cone and stretched top straps from shooting the dreaded 125grain warmed up .357's; and even then... it's not all that common to see a ruined "K". We run the snot out of my brothers vintage K frame with juiced up 158's and 180's. I'd own one but .357 is just a caliber that I simply don't shoot well.

OP, the .44Special is a relatively low pressure round. I would have zero problems running factory Underwood, 255grain "Keith" loads rated @ 1,000fps and it's equal reloaded on my bench to the same spec, no more, no less. That said, that particular load is as hot as I would go because anything more and you essentially are trying to "Magnum-ize" the caliber/gun. Truthfully, you don't need anything harder hitting than that load in a .44Special in my experience; I've used it for my go-to "Woods Load" for years in my 3" barreled M29 and M629. The Gold Dot 200grain load @ 900fps is a near perfect street/suburb load.

I've been on the hunt for a 696 for over a year. Nobody is turning them lose for any reasonable price because they are so awesome! .44Special is a "Come back Kid Caliber" that has a resurgence like no other I've seen in my lifetime over the last 2 years.

Should I ever be blessed enough to purchase a 696 that isn't as costly as a 3" Lew Horton Special.. then I'll certainly pic one up and fire/enjoy the snot out of it with the aforementioned loads and have absolutely zero concerns about it!

ETA: I just realize that this thread is from 2010..... Ugh.... Still interesting though!

Last edited by HamHands; 09-14-2018 at 08:51 AM.