Thread: 38 Super !
View Single Post

Old 09-19-2018, 03:24 PM

Liked 15,520 Times in 6,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al W. View Post
I've been looking at the data provided buy the powder manufacturer and have to say that compared to the manuals their suggestions are very conservative . Which is fine for me. I'm developing target loads and not compulsive about power and velocity. Thats not my interest. So light loads are my province .
I'm not loading for bear.
The data is often at odds with it self. Comparing source to source and trying to find actual data on the projectiles you are firing is a challenge.
There are powders I have used that I don't see listed in any of the manuals. The lack of documentation is interesting. These are not new powders , but are powders that until recently were only compounded for the use of commercial ammunition companies , or so I have read.
The fronts of the manuals are instructive , I've read through a couple .
The cook book aspect is enticing and I don't think you can get into much trouble if you stay within the parameters of the manuals. Although its possible to make a mistake its not likely that you will double charge a 9mm or .380 case at least not with the powder I use. You could get in trouble with .38sp because of the case size.
The internet is fascinating.
I remember the days of no internet.
We still managed somehow
When I talk to the more experienced loaders at my club its clear that a lot of their knowledge came ,"word of mouth", if a guy was having good results on the line you copied their methods , often without reference to book or manual. Other folks are far more inquisitive and scientific in their approach.
I'm the empirical learning type, but I always stay within the bounds of safety .
Thanks for the feedback.

You can't go my "word of mouth" over the internet. If you know someone first hand in person and can verify they know what they are doing, then yes.

But here on the internet not so much. Even if someone really knows, a simple typo and kaa boom!
I will not post data, not afraid of liability just not gonna do it. I looked it up, others can do the same, I have helped a lot of new reloaders here, but to many these days just want a load and not understand anything (PS: I posted the old thread)
"Just started reloading, whats the best powder and how much for Whiz Bang bullets in the 45 ACP?"

Which is why many like the LEE manual. It is full of load data not specific to brand. But that data came from elsewhere People should read the first chapters by Richard Lee and learn something.

All data sources will vary. Different date, test, bullet. phase of the moon yada yada,

Most Hornady data and Hodgdons powder with same bullet will be pretty close
Hornady data is perhaps more conservative than say Lyman or Speer.
For the same weight and STYLE of bullet the slight variations will not matter.