View Single Post

Old 09-19-2018, 06:58 PM

Liked 595 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k22fan View Post
The two most sensible answers do not actually answer notsofast's questions. The first is trade his Model 24 for a .44 Magnum. That's been well covered. The second is reload. In that Model 24 .44 Specials can launch 240 grain bullets within a couple hundred fps of factory .44 Magnum cartridges. That's certainly plenty for deer. They produce all the recoil I want. Wimps like me do not enjoy firing standard .44 Magnum cartridges in Mountain Guns that have essentially the same recoil as his converted Model 24 would.

If he's never going to reload and local laws make trading guns not feasible then we look at his original questions. A longer cylinder would not be needed to fire industry standard .44 Magnum factory cartridges. The SAAMI's .44 Special maximum cartridge over all length is 0.005" longer than .44 Magnum. The Model 24's cylinder's chambers could be reamed with a .44 Magnum reamer. That would avoid buying a cylinder. It would avoid working on his yoke for end shake, his barrel for flash gap and his ratchet for carry up or timing. Additionally it would avoid having a cylinder with a different shade of blue than the rest of the revolver. Wouldn't that be the least expensive way to do what he wants?
I don’t reload, I would be using commonly sold rounds, Remington, Winchester, Fioochi, in both magnum and special. I do not yet know what SAAMI means and/or its relevance for my project, any explanation would be helpful for me. And yes reaming a cylinder would be preferable to barrel shortening, forcing cone re-cutting and of course buying a mag cylinder. The gun is a -6