View Single Post

Old 09-21-2018, 09:37 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 38,230 Times in 4,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m41 View Post
I am looking to buy a center fire rifle and was wondering brand, model and caliber would you buy. I have had 30-06, 30-30, 22-250, but I am wanting just one center fire rifle and was wondering which would be the best for anything you would need a center fire for.
Anything you would need a centerfire for? Are you including grizzly bears? If you are going after bears, you no doubt need to go up from the 30-06, but I will answer you question assuming you are not going after big bears. If you want to shoot anything, from prairie dogs to black bears, including elk, moose, goats and sheep, you want a 270 Winchester. My favorite is the 30-06, but I say the 270, because it makes an excellent varmint caliber, and can reach out to 500 yards much better than the 06.

Now the rifle. I do not think there is a classier looking better built gun than a Belgium made Browning Safari grade bolt action built on a Mauser action. You just have to be careful of a few years that they produced " salt" guns where they cured the wood with a chemical that can create rust on the barrel. There is information on years and serial numbers for these guns. Beyond that, I do not think there is anything finer. Except my old Sako built on a Mauser action. Actually the Sako Mauser actions were only made in 2 calibers, 270, and 30-06. Start the hunt for one of those in a 270. Only other choice for me would be a pre 64 model 70 winchester