View Single Post

Old 09-22-2018, 09:40 AM

Liked 8,136 Times in 3,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. K View Post
I went to the grocery store and bought the first white nail polish and the first red nail polish I saw. I taped the sides of the sight and looked down the sights of the (unloaded) revolver so I could pinpoint the area I wanted to highlight in color. I put the white on first and let it dry about 90%, then kind of dabbed it very lightly with my finger to texture it a bit. Once it was 100% dry I put red nail polish over top. S’pose I could have used orange or green or whatever... maybe lavender with glitter in it... but I liked red. If a gun’s gonna wear nail polish, it should look classy enough for a night out on the town, I say. Anyhow, on a stainless gun nail polish remover with acetone on a q-tip will take it right off. I would NOT use that product on a blued gun, unless someone more knowledgeable than me on this forum says acetone is OK.
Acetone will not damage a blued finish. Plastic and the finish on wood grips is another matter...they might be damaged.
Interestingly , whatever material toothbrushes are made from , acetone doesn't melt them....I use acetone and a toothbrush to clean bullet moulds all the time...maybe they are made of Nylon,
acetone is one of the best degreasers but it is potent and will damage some plastics...so be careful when using it.
Nail Polish Remover is just lacquer thinner, it may damage some plastics and wood finishes.
Just be careful when using any of these , remove grips and wipe off any spills on plastics .
Gary