Thread: Acronym Rant
View Single Post

Old 09-23-2018, 06:07 AM
US Veteran

Liked 6,621 Times in 2,088 Posts
Default Acronym Rant

Call me a curmudgeon but I'm finding that people are getting lazier in their writings. For example, it one thread I encountered on this site used the following acronyms: EDC, CCO, IWB, AIWB, ISB and PSA in it and not one was defined. I'm still not sure what the thread was about. They may as will be writing in Klingon!

I was taught if you are going to use an acronym in your writing, you ALWAYS defined it the first time you used it. You NEVER assumed the reader knew what you were talking about because mental telepathy doesn't work.

Perhaps this acronym usage is resulting from the explosion of texting on cell phones. Acronyms are used all the time on cell phones. I don't own a cell phone and why should I known/understand the "acronym speak" used in cell phone texting?

I think texting is the most stupid thing developed. After all, it is a TELEPHONE so just call and leave a message! It takes less time to speak a message than to write it. Maybe that is why all of the cell phone acronyms came in use - they wanted a written message to take less time to generate that a spoken message. If the acronym is not know to the recipient of the text, how will a meaningful message be transmitted?

Acronym rant off. Thanks.