View Single Post

Old 09-24-2018, 03:17 PM

Liked 185 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC38 View Post

Intriguing description. Got any photos of this unique sounding holster?
I don't have any pictures, but I can provide a description. The most important part of the rig is the harness ... that's what's most unique. I originally developed the harness many years ago, for my ultralight S&W 360sc scandium/titanium .357 J-Frame snubby. The primary part is a one-piece 1" (on the harness for that first gun) elastic strap. It winds from the upper-rear of the holster, across the upper part of my back (just behind and below my neck), then over the top of my right shoulder, down the right side of my chest, then curving under my right arm, around my lower right torso, across my lower back, and finally connecting to the lower rear part of the holster. There is also a 1" (on the harness for that first gun) elastic piece that goes from the upper-front of the holster upward and connects to the one-piece strap on the left-rear side of my neck, on my upper back. That strap, together with the one-piece strap, form the upper-two arms of a triangle that my left arm sticks through, with the top of the holster forming the base of the triangle ... in fact, that's how I put it on every morning: I hold the holstered gun in my right hand, and stick my left arm through that triangle. Then, I stick my right arm through the one-piece strap below my right shoulder and behind my back, and the one-piece strap snaps itself into place. The one-piece strap, together with the shorter strap that is attached to it, forming the triangle above the holster, constitute the load-bearing part of the harness ... they distribute the load over a broad area of my body, so that no single area feels the whole load. There are two other elastic straps with connectors, one going roughly horizontally across my chest (with its connector in my sternum area), connecting the descending 1" strap on the right side of my chest with the front of my holster (about a third of the way from the top). The other strap runs diagonally across my chest, also with its connector at my sternum, connecting the lower front of the holster with the upper part of the one-piece elastic strap that runs down the right side of my chest. Those two straps aren't load-bearing, but they keep the gun from flopping around, and snug it in close to my body. There is also an important "anti-sway" non-elastic strap that snugly connects the top-rear part of the holster to the part of the one-piece elastic strap that wraps around the lower part of my right torso. That anti-sway non-elastic strap prevents the top part of the holster from being pulled forward by the weight of the gun when I bend over (like when picking up something off the floor). As a result of all those extra non-load-bearing straps, the gun doesn't flop around at all, no matter how I move.

It took many "trials-and-errors" to arrive at that design ... my wife had to untangle me many times from the ones that didn't work! All of the other harnesses that I have made (for different guns) have used 2" KNITTED elastic strap instead of the 1" strap. The knitted webbing conforms better to compound curves than either the braided or the woven elastic straps. And the load-bearing straps were increased to 2" width to support the greater weight of the bigger guns. The second harness I made was for my two"government-size" 1911's, and the holster was made out of thick but soft leather. All of the other holsters are made out of heavy cotton cloth. The third harness was for my S&W 69 L-Frame .44mag, and the last one is for my 5" S&W 629 N-Frame .44mag.

Last edited by Mike_Fontenot; 09-25-2018 at 08:55 AM.