View Single Post

Old 09-26-2018, 11:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
Try actual bullseye pistol. You have the gun for it--the heavy barrel 41, presuming it's tapped for optics. The field barrel or the Woodsman would be better for steel, you want less mass up front. And you already have the ammo. Not giving indoor BE a shot would be a crime.

10-ring on a 50-foot slow fire target is .9", btw, just a little bit smaller than a quarter. You can hit it, so long as you don't try to hit it.
Here is a typical target I have been shooting for the past three years. It was shot on Nov 24th 2017 with my full sized Wilson Combat 45acp Supergrade. Same thing every week, I would shoot at least four targets like this each Saturday morning. Top three targets (above each shoulder and the head) at ten yards and the torso at 15 yards. This using a two handed grip, one shot every two or three seconds when shooting at 15 yards. Slow and steady was all I did until 14 months ago. I had no idea what 'tactical' shooting was until, after much prodding from the range officers, I went to my first plate match.

Having never been to a 22 caliber bullseye match, I would suspect that shooting is done one handed. My heavy barrel will be drilled and tapped for optics, I may go whole hog and replace certain small parts with top end volquartsen items (extractors, or whatever others are doing). Unless someone tells me the small parts on the Model 41 are the best design possible for the platform. That's the point of me joining this forum. So that you guys make sure I don't do something stupid to these classic Model 41's. I understand that both could be considered collectable, people on other forums told me to not shoot the 1938 woodsman match target for instance. Or modify these Model 41's because in doing so, I would destroy their value in as collectors items. So maybe the field barrel will remain un-modified.

But I am a shooter not a collector, and normally shoot everything I own, often and a lot. For instance, I put 300 to 400 rounds through the pictured Supergrade a month, sometimes double that. Wilson Combat customer service told me that the average Supergrade owner puts maybe 100 rounds per month through their gun, with many of them relegating this fine shooting iron to the back of the safe, almost never shooting it. Me? I can't imagine spending almost $7,000 on a Modern Manufactured 45acp only to never shoot it. It has a blued slide - the case color hardened frame was done by Doug Turnbull. The last pic is my Supergrade wearing a cross cut mammoth tooth grips done by Challis Grips, those alone were about $2 and are surprisingly grippy. Not quite as good as the classic wooden grips, but good enough for target shooting, but a little slick for tactical shooting. The pictures do not do the grips justice.

When I sent this Supergrade back to Wilson so they could put a different set of sites on it, Wilson Customer Service told me that they love to see heavily used guns like mine. Their gunsmiths can tell when a pistol is heavily used and love to see that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nov 24th 2017 slow shoot.jpg (65.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Wilson SG 1911.jpg (120.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Supergrade with Challis grips.jpg (65.3 KB, 21 views)